My ramblings on BING vs GOOGLE

Ladies and Gentlemen,
I'm a layman in search matters. I've never worked in a search engine company. My exposure has generally been in products which deal with high availability , scalable systems. Currently, I'm working on a product which hopes to use search of in a twitter based world(Life is difficult) .

The argument of between GOOGLE and BING[Let me stick with this as opposed to Microsoft] has generated substantial interest in me. I owe my introduction to this topic through repeated tweets of @vwadhwa . His article on Google's spam has let hell lose in Silicon valley, such that, far away in Bangalore I stay up all night busy waiting for the next big news or tweet(Are they different? ).

My reading of these articles tells me this. Google has a brilliant search engine. It's Page Rank algorithm has changed the way people work. My 78-year-old father gushes about it the same way my 5-year-old daughter does.

I'm never been a Microsftian[There go chances to get a job there, Good money you know]. I never use IE. Their tabbing systems are stupid. But, this debate is not about IE vs Firefox . This is about Google search vs Bing.

Google says that , Bing is using it's search patterns to manipulate the data and start showing top Google results. Words like copying has been used.

Bing's response has been ,that, they use something known as 'clickstream principle' which allows them to collect data and use them for generate improved results. They also say that 'Google results' are just one of the 1000 inputs they use. Mr. Mark Cutts - Senior engineer in Google responds ,saying, that, perhaps, Google's results are way more important than 1/1000 .

Google's quote has been the sting op's where they used strings like 'hiybbprqag' , 'mbzrxpgjyx' , 'indoswiftjobinproduction' gives the results which have been copied by Bing too.

Now, since, these strings were supposed to be unique, it does make sense, that if, Google were 1/1000 parameters, it will be Google results which will get projected.

Using these as parameters to say that Bing is copying Google completely is perhaps, a bit, unwarranted. But, then, who knows how the technology is constructed beyond the press releases .

Right now, this blogpost is becoming scary since, I'm also on a Google platform. But, let me try a picture. I love Google as a company. It is my dream to be there and work in an innovation environment. What worries me, is the stance, being taken in the recent past by them. They dont sound like the innovative Geeks whom I could identify with.

Finally my last touch. Google web ranking algorithm uses crawlers to capture data. This is used to evaluate content/pages and provide rankings to them. The search results that we see when we use Google search is Just a function of those rankings. Last I heard they've also included web speed as one of the parameters.

This above sounds close ,to a layman ,the clickstream technology[Bing's quotes] of taking input from 1000 parameters.

Hey, when somebody writes a DBMS, he uses C/C++[I know,I've worked in one such company(Not Oracle)] . But, when somebody writes a C/C++ code which uses Pro-C then he is using SQL from a DBMS, ok, RDMBS. Thankfully, C/C++ is not proprietary. My understanding is that, since, Search results are public(We dont pay to use Google search), Bing is allowed to use it.

Guess ,if I was Google what I would do, I would realise that Bing has been smart. You guys need to respond to them with Innovation.

The Good news:
a) I dont use IE[Most developers hate IE].
b) Places which have terrible bandwidth have learnt the hard way to use firefox and now chrome.
c) The Market is still with you guys.
d) You guys have many smart brains in your offices. I'm sure you can work out a technical answer to this. If I were there, and reviewing this since, 6 months, I would already be ready with closed-in-house beta by now.
e) I don't allow toolbars to get installed on my browser. (Exception, zynga's games toolbar for facebook, the energy boosts really help :-) .

Bad news: -:

a) I visited Bing for the first time in life. I did a search there. Guess what, the top 2 results were same but, the 3rd one was different. I will not tell you what it was.

Cheers.
Hope u guys read this and dont get mad one me.

Comments